Monday 9 March 2009

Watchmen (18)

It was a very complex graphic novel, so of course it didn't match up.

But since I never read it, it was not an issue. I'm not a graphic novel fan, but I love the films and I really enjoyed Watchmen. It's not up there with my favourites, but it was darn good.
The slow motion action sequences were highly stylised and very impressive. This was the highlight of the film- go see it just for the special effects. The scene at the very beginning establishs whats yet to come.

The story revolves around a set of people who called themselves the 'Minutemen', who protected New York. The majority of them have no extraordinary super powers, like Spiderman, for example, but they are strong agile fighters. When the film is set, the Minutemen have retired and are living normal lives. This is until one of them gets murdered and the investigation leads to many more relevations....

The dialogue is not all that amazing, but this film is all about the action. It is quick, stylish and also quite violent. There were times when I turned away from the screen, and I am a fan of violent genres. But I'm not giving anything away.

The film is rather long, coming in at just over two and half hours long, but I did not feel like it was dragging. There were a few boring places in which I was waiting for more action and violence and it took me a while to understand everyone's character and backstory.

You may recognise actors such as Billy Crudup, who plays Dr. Manhattan and Carla Gugino, who plays Miss Jupiter.

Obviously, the film was never going to match up to the graphic novel, but I think it did a good job. Then again, those who have read it would give a better educated opinion. I recommend this film to anyone who likes superhero films, violence and stylish fight scenes. Rating: 3.5/ 5

No comments:

Post a Comment