Wednesday 10 June 2009

MTV Movie Awards 2009

I have watched these awards religiously because they are so much more fun than BAFTAs and Oscars and recognise films that are brilliant in other ways, not Oscar-types. However, I just found this evening's festivities really not that funny. For a start, not many people in the UK know who the host, Adam Sanberg, is. Usually, the hosts are people like Sarah Silverman (I'm not a fan of hers much either), Mike Myers (Austin Powers) and Justin Timberlake to name but a few. But who is Adam Sanberg?! At the time of watching, I knew I recognised him but I couldn't think from where. The host is supposed to be someone you instantly know, but I guess being the mastermind behind "Dick In a Box" and "I'm On a Boat" Youtube videos means you're good enough for the job. Those videos may be funny, but his hosting job is not, despite being a recurring presenter on "Saturday Night Live". He's trying too hard and falling flat in my opinion.

They have categories for Best Kiss and Best Fight, which I think are hilarious, especially when the actors kiss on stage when collected the award. Remember Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams when collecting for "The Notebook"? That was FANTASTIC, and I hadn't even seen the film at the time. So naturally, I was gutted when Robert Pattinson didn't actually kiss Kristen Stewart that evening.

What I was also gutted about was that Twilight won EVERYTHING it was nominated for that night, including Best Fight, Best Breakthrough Actor, Best Female Performance and Best Film. Don't get me wrong, I loved the film, I went to see it at the cinema twice, but in some of the categories, other films were just better. And it's all because Twilight has a cult following. Did you hear the screams everytime it's name was mentioned?! No other films have cult status and it clearly showed. For a start, I don't think Robert Pattinson should have won Best Male Breakthrough Performance- that should have definitely gone to Dev Patel for his lead role in Slumdog Millionaire.

Another thing which made me laugh, the Sacha Baron Cohen stunt?! What the hell was that about?! It turns out that Eminem was 100% in on the stunt. in which Cohen's latest alter-ego, Bruno, flys over the crowd barely dressed and falls on Eminem, putting his bum right in his face. Eminem looks really annoyed and walks out the auditorium, but this all for the cameras. However, this stunt turns out to be a introduction to Best Male Performance awards, but because of the everyone fussing over the stunt, when Cohen shouts out "Zac Efron!", nobody has a clue what the hell is going on. Even, Zac Efron. His face is a picture of confusion. It was the worst presentation of an award ever. Nobody knew that's what was happening and the nominees weren't even read out.

Ben Stiller won the Lifetime Achievement, which I was really happy about. I love that man and his films and he does deserve it. But again, how he got presented with that was ridiculous. Zac Efron, some puppet dog called Triumph [I hope Americans thought this was funny] and Keifer Sutherland. Zac Efron did a good job, saying all his achievements, Triumph kept saying he looked like a monkey and Kiefer just started "crying", blatently upstaging Stiller. If I was Ben Stiller, I would have been more than disappointed.

All I can say is, if MTV keep putting on such a ridiculous awards show, then I will no longer watch it religiously. It wasn't funny despite how hard it tried and the winners didn't get the credit they deserved. I will say I enjoyed the previews and trailers from Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, New Moon and Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince and the fact that Kristen Stewart broke her award by dropping it on the floor the second she got it. Brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment