Saturday 6 June 2009

Star Trek (12A)

You don't have to be a Trekkie to like this. I have never seen anything previous to this but I enjoyed the film although a few aspects confused me. But that could just be me and my easy-to-confuse brain.

Chris Pine (from "Just My Luck") stars as Kirk, who is may be the main character but is not stereotypical in the fact that he always get beaten up, without that moment where most "heroes" fight back and kick ass. He is reckless, a rookie and doesn't take life too seriously. He's so cool- he isn't perfect but can manage the Starsip Enterprise like a pro. He's a more relatable than most lead male characters in action films these days.

Zachary Quinto steps away from his most notable role as Sylar in "Heroes" to play Spock, who is half Vulcan, which means he is very clever and so he is assigned captain. My favourite characters are Scotty (Simon Pegg), who is hilarious and Chekov (Anton Yelchin) because he is so enthusiastic about the mission and beaming people up which makes him totally adorable.

The special effects are amazing and that can also be said for the stunts, costumes and make-up (mostly the Spock ears!) The plot follows a mission on the Starship Enterprise, which sounds simple but as soon as time travel gets involved, I lost it. The producer is JJ. Abrahams, the man behind Lost, so I should have expected it really. Kudos to him for simplifying the franchise to make new film watchers understand the concept.

This film is action-packed, funny and very enjoyable. It's better for boys and I base this on my friends that I went to see it with. I was much less enthusiastic about it than they were. Give it a watch, you will be surprised how much you like it. 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment